Saturday, October 15, 2011

Waking Up In Australia

I woke up this morning just after 6 when the sun was shining and my son was sleeping in the bed about 2 metres away from me.  Yesterday I arrived in Melbourne and despite having checked the box about having been with farm animals in the last 30 days, they let me out of customs without having to go through quarantine as I didn’t bring any mud/dirt on my boots and shoes.  My good friend Karen was waiting for me and we eventually found our way to her car.  It still seems a bit weird to see the steering wheel on the left side of the car but I don’t think it will take me long to adapt back to Aussie ways.

We went to lunch at Chaddy shopping centre and I ate one fried dim sim.  That’s not all I ate for lunch and I also had a bottle of diet coke but the dim sim is something I missed eating when in the US.  I got a new SIM card for my phone and checked out bikes at a large bike store.  Almost to Karen’s house, we had a few errands to run at stores (shops) there and I updated my Aussie bank account so that now my name is officially Carolanne Flowers. 

 I bought a hybrid bike which even has shock absorbers in the seat post and the wheels can come off easily with the push of a button which will help for when I want to carry my bike in cars to take them to bike trails.  I bought a helmet and the guy at the bike store delivered it to Karen’s house as he only lives 5 houses down the road.  It’s a small country town.

Anyway, it was good to catch up with Karen and her family and Nathan is also staying here for the weekend.  Karen made a delicious meal and mom will be pleased to know I ate everything on my plate and it was good.  We had home-made sausage rolls, carrots, peas, baked cauliflower with a yummy cheese sauce and for dessert I had bought some blueberry, white choc-chip scones from Bakers Delight.
I went to bed by 10:30 last night (or 11) and it didn’t take long to fall asleep.  I did wake up with an unusual type cramp in my leg which I had once before, so I got up and paced for a bit and it was fine this morning.  Well the sun is out and the grey clouds look like they’re going so Nathan and I might get a bike ride in today which I’m looking forward to.  We might even go look at cars and then I want to take some photos so that my family and friends can see the pretty area I live in.
I do miss my family and friends in the US a lot!!!!

No comments: