Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Great Ocean Road

I'm sitting in a motel room, listening to the ocean waves crashing outside.   The sun was setting, as I sat in my car eating fish, scallops, a pineapple fritter, and watching the waves flirt with the sand.  It was a little cool when I got out of the car to take photos.  I was standing in the car park with the wind blowing on my face and in my hair and when I could resist no longer, I ran down to the sand and almost to the water's edge.  Tomorrow I have plans to spend a good amount of time at the beach.  When I got back in the car, I noticed that there was sand on the driver's side floor.  I was delighted to find the sand in my otherwise clean car!
I love the beach.  Not necessarily to swim in, but just to be there.  I love the sound of the powerful waves crashing, I love the smell of the salty, fresh air and I love how the ocean just keeps on going, without end.  It all reminds me of the total power and awesomeness of God.  Despite how big and powerful the ocean is, how full of animals and life, despite the many grains of sand, the rockpools and bushes alongside the shore, our Creator God loves us and considers us valuable.

My friend Donna told me about a Christian school that needed a teacher and I went for an interview today.  She asked me how I felt about it and I had to be honest:
"I like the school.  I guess, to be honest, I find it hard to be 'confident' or look forward to anything these days because of what's happened to me over the last few months.  I want it to be good but my plans haven't turned out how I have wanted in a long time."

Like Dave used to say. "All plans are subject to change." and boy, haven't I learnt that over the last few months?!

She encouraged me to read Jeremiah 29:11.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
I know that the Lord has a plan for me and I know that His plans are best and good for me.  In a sense, I guess the thing is that even though I am not full of hope about my plans or even this job, I put it in His hands because He has plans to proper me and not to harm me, plans to give me a future and a hope.  The area the school is in has the beach nearby, farms, city and country life.  It  would be a perfect place for me to start all over again...

At the interview, they asked me, "What makes you get up every morning?" and I replied, "The knowledge that I have to.  I know that God has a purpose for my life, has given me gifts, talents and interests and that I need to honour Him with my life".  I believe that.  The thing is, it is tempting to stay in bed, to hide away from everyone and everything but I know that's not reality and I know that isn't a healthy choice.
While I drove along the Great Ocean Road this evening, I thought about how wonderful it would be to have Dave alongside me, sharing with him the beautiful views, sharing with him my 'new' life.  Sometimes it seems that every step forward is a step further away from him... and that I don't like!!! But it is what it is and the 2nd part of John 10:10 says, "I have come that they might have life and have it to the full."

I am so thankful that God has put many amazing, special people in my life and that He has opened my eyes to the beauty that was created and formed by Him just saying the word. It is very good!

No comments: