Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"What Is There To Think About, Carolanne?"

My friend Carolyne turned up yesterday and we decided to walk to the local pizza shop to get something to eat.  We walked there and of course, the pizza shop is closed on Mondays so we went to the supermarket and bought a pizza and a Vienetta for dessert.  From the moment she arrived, we had things to share, talk about and laugh about.  Carolyne is one of those friends who is no stress, makes herself at home and is simply unpretentious.  She lives on a farm and her husband was off on a road trip to pick up some farm equipment with their oldest son and her 2 younger children were away at camp so this was the best time for her to come.  Her younger son, aged 11 was a bit dismayed that she would come visit me without taking him too so she promised her 2 younger children that they could come next time.. and she promised her daughter that she would take a photo of us and all was well.

Carolyne homeschools her three children and is my drinking buddy from when we met a few years ago.  As we surfed teacher resource websites last night, we drank diet coke and ate chocolate.  I showed her some of the books I've bought since I've been back and shared with her some of the things I will be doing/using in my classroom this year.  She gave me back 50 of my books that I'd given her before I went to the States, including one of my favourites, "Ella Minnow Pea".  We finally went to bed in the wee hours of the morning and got up less than 8 hours later. 

After breakfast, it was time to walk to the school and the principal had time to take us on a tour.  He took us to rooms that I hadn't visited before as well as my new classroom and it was good to get the enthusiasm for teaching this year, building up some more.  I took photos of my classroom just to remind me of what's there and the lay out so I can start envisioning how I will set up my 3/4 grade.  Peter asked me if I was taking 'before photos'.  The ideas are still running around after each other in my head, this way, that way, and turning like a mouse on one of those treadmill-wheels.  It is a positive thing.

On the way back, as we passed the fitness centre, I decided to drop in and ask about the swimming pool and zumba classes.  I thought I'd just have to walk  up to the desk, ask the questions and come away informed.  I was wrong.  While Carolyne sat in the foyer, I signed a form and went and sat at a table with 2 chairs, waiting for someone to come and consult with me.  The young man asked me questions and took me on a tour, showing me the zumba room and the swimming pool, asking me what I hoped to achieve by swimming there etc etc.  We sat down again and he took out the price list while I politely stifled my horror at the price for just wanting to swim there on the way home from work.  He wanted me to sign on the dotted line right there and then and I said I'd need to think about it.  His patronising response was, "What is there to think about, Carolanne?

He's lucky that I am so demure and gently responded with, "I need to decide if I am willing to be that committed."  He then wanted to sign me up with a 'wait for 7 days' deal and I reminded him that I had only come in to look around and had no intention of signing up today.  As I walked home with Carolyne, my mind kept coming back to that stupid question, "What is there to think about, Carolanne?"

If only you knew!

We hopped in the car and went to the main stretch of shops and I stopped in at the cash converter place to tell them that the former resident had left  (skipped) town and won't be coming back in to pay her loan.  He apologised for the inconvenience of me receiving her mail and fixed it up on the computer.  I don't know how many bills I have 'returned to sender' and also had a debt collections letter asking me for information about her.


We went to an Op shop, a 2nd hand store, a discounted furniture store and Retravision.  At the op shop I bought some cool things for my classroom.  I bought a bar stool, swivel chair (see pic) that will be good for 'teacher only'.  It's quite comfortable and I'll be able to sit up in my chair and read to them for hours and since Carolyne had trouble getting into it because she's shorter than me, so my grade 3/4's should be a little deterred about climbing up into it, but then again, boys of that age... ok, well it was a nice thought. 
I also picked up a few educational games that I can put in the cupboard for students who finish early, have free time or when it's a wet day.  The blue spider/soft toy thing is  an impulse buy that Carolyne and I thought the boys would like and we could keep it on the end of the sofa that I will put in the reading corner.  Later, I picked out the bookshelf that I will buy when I am earning some money because, as Carolyne pointed out, I really need a bookshelf.  There was a good 2nd hand one and a beautiful brand new one that I like so hopefully they will still be there in another month or two when I am ready to pay for them.  At Retravision I bought a sat-top box for the TV that I was given, which also included a DVD player.  When Nathan is here tomorrow, I will have him set it all up. 

Just after Carolyne left, I talked with my good friend Gerda and we discussed my day, my blog, my journey of grief.  I admitted to her that I do enjoy moving forward and I am definitely looking forward to the school year, especially as I focus more and more on my new class and I know I will have fun teaching.  I always do.  I am happy with my progress but at the same time, there is always the thought that I wish Dave was here so I could share it with him.  I miss him a lot and I have really come to understand that Dave is a part of me and a part of who I am.  My love for him and our relationship affects who I am and what I do and don't do.  And quite frankly, I am thankful for that.   

No comments: