Friday, January 6, 2012

Getting My Hair Done

You know when you are mad at someone, so you do the "I don't care" routine and perhaps the silent treatment because you want them to know you're mad at them and want them to ask "What's wrong, honey?" that's about how I feel towards Dave right now.  I want him to walk in the door so I can beat his chest with my fists and tell him to never leave me again like that and how dare he hurt me so much!  I want him to take my hands from his chest, wrap his arms around me and hold me close and kiss me like he can.. so good!

Instead, I went to the hair salon today and I guess this is all part of my journey too as I grow through this grief.  He likes my hair curly and so curly it is now.  He doesn't like it in the 60's style but otherwise he likes it any other way and he thinks it's more practical to have it permed, rather than going to the hair dresser to get it curled.  So I looked online at all the hair salons around here and called one.  The voice on the other end was cheery and she booked me in for a perm the next day after my call.

After driving up and down the street a few times, I finally located it, hidden away near a fitness centre so I parked the car, put up the sun shield/blind and after telling them who I was, sat patiently on the couch and continued reading my book, "Horses Never Lie About Love" which is set in the Eastern side of Washington State but had names of places I had heard of and even visited, such as Wenatchee and Yakima!  It was like reading about my horses at home and inspired me to start recording my stories of when I was in the States.  (See the link to the right of the blog called, "My Writings In the Garden.")  http://cjflowerswriting.blogspot.com/

Anyway, I introduced myself to Cathy or Amanda - she didn't tell me her name probably because she assumed I already knew it and then of course, as she wound my hair around curlers, she asked the usual questions, which led to my unusual life story of the last two years, being disclosed.  She's been a hairdresser for 14 years so she's heard almost everything that's happened under the sun and she's learned to keep a poker face when hearing sordid tales of woe, deceit and other stuff and she's learned to rejoice when love and happiness are celebrated. 

The chairs at the basin are more like 'beds/couches' so you lay back and put your head full of curlers, onto the basin and bravely smile while the curlers dig into your head and the smell of perm fills your senses so that your eyes water and you are breathing in 'poison'.  Yuck!  You woud think that after all these years, they could improve on the smell and make it much more pleasant but instead, tomorrow when I wake up, my pillow will still reek of the perm fumes. All for a little curl.

After she unwrapped each curl and combed it out, she got a hand mirror so I could see the back of it and asked me how it felt.  How it felt? No different to what it was before but it looked curlier. I went to pay her but for some reason my ATM card wasn't working so I paid her cash and will pay the amount owing when I go back in a couple weeks or so to have the grey in my hair coloured over.  Dave said that it was vanity but it was really that I wanted to look good for him, which he found hard to believe but is the truth.

Talking about Dave today and a bit about my life in the States, reminded me that I do have a story to tell and it can be quite interesting to others so I will write.  I've been trying to write the last few weeks but didn't feel all that motivated.  I've been trying to get ready for school but didn't feel all that motivated but today is a little different.  Of course, knowing me, that might change in an hour's time or by tomorrow but it's nice to know that I have taken a step or two forward along the garden trail.

No comments: