Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Evening Before Another Life Change

Before I go to bed tonight, I will pack an overnight bag as tomorrow all the staff are going on a retreat for our first two days of 'work' in 2012.  A colleague, Lisa, will be picking me up and we'll meet everyone else for breakfast at a place where we can go swimmng, canoeing, bushwalking and do other activities as we get to know each other so that we can work well together.  There are eleven new staff members and the key focus of this retreat is to "regroup, enjoy catching up, reflecting and preparing for our work together in 2012.  There will be a focus on the way we care for one another as well as the giving and receiving of feedback."  I have met a few other staff members already and this seems like it is a positive and caring place to work.  Regardless of what you think you know about me, I do struggle with meeting new people, especially when there is no 'background'/context.  i.e. When I went to the US, I was the wife of Dave, or the friend of Wanda, or Maurine, or the step-mum of Dianne etc.  Anyway,  I believe that staff morale is very important in any business and in the past have done all that I can to enable staff members to work as a team.  I am glad this is the environment I will be working in for 2012.

Earlier today, I printed out the english and maths curriculum for Term 1 that one of my colleagues emailed me and looked it over.  Although it is curriculum I have taught before, there are a few differences and I am nervous about starting work again.  There are new procedures to learn, including finding out where resources and teaching aids are kept, knowing what student and teacher records are required and.. my favourite..... paperwork!  Although it seems very organised and has similarities to past teaching experience, it is different and will require more learning for me.  Hopefully the co-ordinator (coach) will be patient with me as I ask him questions that might seem 'simple'.  I haven't taught in such a big school before and I have mostly been in charge, with little supervision and I've had to do all my own classroom work, mostly from scratch.  It will be good to work in a team, share ideas and learn with others.

So, on this evening before I begin work in my new job, in my new home, in a new area, I know I have to move forward and get some kind of purpose back into my life.  I am missing Dave so much and wish he was here with me and wish I could just cuddle with his strong and protective arms around me.  It hurts so much to be without him but I know that tomorrow is the start of a new chapter in my life and the Lord is beside me, holding my hand and giving me the strength to do it. 

Before I go to sleep tonight, I will finish packing.  The house is all clean and tidy for when I return and hopefully, the bushwalking won't be too strenuous although, yes, I am not very stiff and sore today.  I look forward to sharing with you some of the interesting and fun stories that this school year will provide me with.

No comments: