Saturday, March 17, 2012

Little Memories That Make Me Smile

Last weekend, I browsed the internet to see what rodeos were on, where some country music concerts were being held and what the weather would be like if I drove along The Great Ocean Road.  Since I was spending Monday with Nathan, I wanted to go exploring and do something  fun so I was excited to read about a show being held on Labour  Day at a place called Portarlington. 

As I got ready in the morning, I put on my Ariat boots.  When Dave and I first went walking, he suggested I get more appropriate footwear for the exploring that we were anticipating doing and the boots were also to use when I went riding. It may seem like a little thing to you, but when I got them out on Monday morning, one of the boots still had dirt from home, on the bottom of it.  At least it got through quarantine!  It was the first time I'd had the opportunity to wear the boots and I wore them remembering the reason I had bought them.  The dirt was a bonus! (This photo was taken at TumTum, WA when I first got the boots.)
I picked Nathan up and we drove out to Portarlington, only to find that the show had been held the day before and on this day, there wasn't any sign of the show, not even a stray bit of rubbish.  Nathan got into the driver's seat so that he could practise driving a manual car again and we drove off to a little town on the beach front, called "Queenscliffe".  We got out to walk around and saw a sign that said, "Used books" and we were compelled to enter the store and look around.  It was wonderful!! I bought Anna Karenina which I've never read before by Leo Tolstoy, The Complete Works of AB Paterson (Vol. 1) and 6 books in one of James Herriot stories, about a country vet.  Nathan found a book that he was extremely pleased with and we both agreed that the day had turned out well and we even thought that the bookstore might have surpassed what we could have seen/done at the farmer's show.
Weatherwise it was warm and sunny, with blue skies and the ocean looked beautiful.  We walked through the whole town, into different stores and stopped for a lunch at a bakery that served delicious food.  We saw a couple of old fashioned lolly (sweet) stores and as the afternoon drifted on, we went on to do different things.
  
It's been a challenging week at work.  As I've thought about it, I've realised that I am not facing any issues that I haven't dealt with before and yet, because I'm dealing with so many things, I wavered in my confidence and was uncertain about the best way to handle things.  One of the things I find hardest to deal with, is building up a good support network which is something I've always been privileged to have over the past years.  When I faced issues like these before, I had 4, or maybe even more, colleagues and friends I could discuss things with and whose advice or knowledge was sound and timely.  They knew me and could also factor that into their advice.  As one staff member said jokingly this week, I'm the 'newbie' and I am still building up relationships and trust with my peers.  Consequently, I can sometimes find myself floundering and waving my arms about, without feeling like I am standing on solid ground.  This is all part of the process of growing in the job that I'm at too and it's only temporary. (The being 'new' is temporary.. not the job. :) )

The athletics carnival is coming up and I'm in blue house and staff and students are encouraged to wear their 'house colours'.  Yesterday when I went shopping, I was looking out for blue tshirts but didn't find any I like so today I rummaged through the dresser drawers when I suddenly remembered the drawer with a few of Dave's shirts in them.  I pulled out his blue Tshirt.  Dave usually wore white Tshirts although he would also wear 'novelty' Tshirts I gave him such as, "I'm not opinionated.  I'm just always right".  The blue Tshirt I gave him and he wore it under the blue Western shirt I bought for him and at other times.  I will be able to wear it on sports day.  Again, it's a little thing, like the dirt on the boots that I bought to wear for walking/exploring with him, but it's a physical reminder of the life I shared with Dave.

Before I married Dave, I had purchased a Wii console and regularly used the wii Fit game to get and stay in shape.  When I moved to the States, I bought one there for that purpose but hardly ever took it out and used it.  Just before Dave passed away, he remarked that I was in better shape than when we were first married and perhaps he was right, but it wasn't due to using the wii fit.  He wanted me to use it so he could watch... and laugh, so I didn't and I guess, it just didn't ever seem that I needed to.  I  mowed lawns, rode horses and fixed fences and the wii fit didn't factor into my life.  Anyway, since I've been back in Australia, I've noticed that I haven't been careful about the type of food I eat, nor have I attempted to exercise and when I've gone shopping, the normal size for me has been a little snug although still fitting.  I bought the Wii fit game and set it up today.  It told me that I was just 'obese' and yet in great shape for my age.  Conflicting messages but I know the truth.  I am not 19 years 'younger' than my actual age and I am not obese.   I do need to lose weight and I do need to get into better shape. 

Tonight, I spent 10 minutes on the wii fit, and was sweating at the end of it.  I told a friend I was sweating like a horse and then I remembered one of my rides on Dee, with Nathan riding Stormy and Dianne riding Magic. (Before Dave passed away.)  As we were riding back, I noticed foam coming from Stormy's butt and I was concerned and found out that is how some horses sweat.  So no, I wasn't sweating like a horse.  I do wish I could ride again and I am looking out in case a horse falls in my lap but until that day, I'll keep exercising, reading, teaching and moving forward. 

No comments: