Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Blue Because of Dave

Today was the sports carnival and although it was very warm, it was also very windy.  Being in blue house, I not only got to wear Dave's blue TShirt but also the blue hat he used to wear for work.  It made me feel good to be able to wear both those things of Dave's but it also made me feel sad that he's not here to wear them anymore.  I told a couple of friends that I was wearing Dave's hat and TShirt and they understood how special that was to me.

As we drove in the buses towards the athletics fields, I  noticed lots of trucks and of course that brought back lots of memories too, especially since I was wearing Dave's 'trucking' hat.  Going with Dave on his trucking trips is probably one of my most favourite memories.  I had his undivided attention, it was just the two of us and we got in plenty of talking, listening and just the two of us being together.  I thought about the time we went over the Vantage Bridge to Kittitat, how we stopped to look at the wild horses monument and Dave stopped the truck so I could take photos of our first overnight trucking trip together.

As we got back from the trip, Dave commented that it didn't seem like work when I was with him and he made it clear that he enjoyed my company on those trucking trips.  It was an adventure for just the two of us each time we went together.  When we were trying to sleep in the confined space of a sleeper, Dave was complaining about the bed being hard and not enough room to move (literally) and I told him to pretend we were camping.  We stopped and ate good food at a trucker's restaurant for dinner and the weather was great the whole time we were away.

I thought about the people we met as we drove around from elevator to elevator and wondered if they ever thought of Dave and I again.  I know they probably especially think of Dave but that was a good time for both of us.  So thinking about that on the bus to the athletics carnival, I had to change my thoughts so that tears wouldn't fall.  It's not too difficult to change thinking with a bus load of gr 3/4 students! 

During the day I was on the long jump pit so I  and another staff member, had to measure, watch children jumping and record their results.  My hat blew off so many times, it probably spent more time in my hand than on my head and as a result, my face got a little sun/wind burned.  It was a good day.  The two teachers who organised the event did an amazing job and it went smoothly.  (At least from my perspective.)  To organise about 500 students doing track and field events and organise staff and then keep organising and watching to ensure everything got done in an orderly way took a mammoth effort and they did very well!!!

I had a good day and missed Dave at the same time.  I thought of him a lot and still wish I could be enjoying life with him.  Oh, and I think I probably will wait until I have my own place before I buy a horse.  If I buy a horse now, I would have to put it on someone else's property and pay them for the agistment and I'm not sure I would be all that confident about going to ride or visit my horse whenever I wanted to if it was at someone else's place.  Still, if one does happen to turn up and it all falls into place, I'm willing to change my mind.

No comments: