Friday, December 4, 2015

Each Day Has Enough Trouble

Earlier this week I wrote a list of all the things that were worrying me and keeping me from sleep. The list was relatively long and I tried to ignore the Bible verse that kept going through my head, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." We're now at the end of the week and some of those 'worries' can be crossed off the list while some are still waiting to happen and getting more worrying with time.

Change once again, is imminent. Once again I can claim that things haven't worked out the way I first planned for them to happen and once again, I have to deal with loss and saying goodbye to people who have touched my heart and life in their own unique way. Yesterday, it was time to say goodbye to my students and many of them were crying. One girl hugged me and sobbed, "Why do you have to leave?!" At the end of the presentation night, one of my friend's brought her daughter who was crying, to me. I reminded the girl that I had said goodbye to her family 7 years ago, hello to them in a new state 3 years ago and that who knows, but that we might meet up again in another 4 years time. 

As I move forward to another new school and a new place to make our home, I do have mixed feelings. On the one hand I have some great friends/colleagues to work with and I really have had the privilege of teaching two of the best classes I have ever had in the 20+ years of teaching. On the other hand, it's a fresh start in a beautiful environment where I am valued and the way things have fallen into place, has been encouraging. I received an email from the new principal today, about the plans for next year (sent to all staff) and then one from the head of primary welcoming me and giving me an overview of Term 1 and the year ahead. 

The staff and board gave me a wonderful present that I am looking forward to using: It's a double hammock with a frame. The friendships I have made among the staff are very special and I kept telling them they are always welcome to come and visit and try out the new hammock. As I talked with one of my peers today, she reminded me that there isn't a Bible verse that says, God will only give you what you can handle. She said, "Quite the contrary; God gives you what you can't handle so that you learn to rely on Him. If you could handle it, you would have no need for God."

We got the quote for our removalist today and it's going to cost a little bit more than we expected but it's still worth it. In about ten days time, we will go and inspect some possible rentals that are close to the school. The other night at squash, a guy who was on my team a couple years ago turned up although he hadn't been around for ages. We got to talking and I told him we were leaving and where we were going. He had lived there for four years and told me some of the places where best to look for rentals and some of the places to avoid. He also gave me his phone number and said that if I need to, just text him and he'll tell me about the area I might look at. Andy then asked him if he had liked living there and the guy said that he absolutely loved it! 

So we'll go on a holiday for a few days and then begin packing for the next chapter of our life. I know Andy will find it hard to move to yet another new place and start all over again but together, we can do it. Sometimes it's like having a bucket, throwing in the hard and the good, swirling the bucket around and mixing it all together before pouring it out over me. It's a shower of blessings, love, friendships, goodbyes, challenges and adventure. It's about taking good memories of now to a new place where good memories can also be made. 

Sometimes though, I still want a taste of a 'boring, normal and unpredictable', if only for a moment.

I also want my sore throat to be better, to cough less and to go and enjoy a relaxing and refreshing holiday. 
Be like Milly and leap forward with excitement! 

No comments: