Friday, October 17, 2014

Not A City Chick!

As I drove home tonight, I watched the orange sun go down behind the hills that were sparsely dotted with gum trees and cattle grazing. With the bit of rain we've had lately, the paddocks were a little greener than usual but more rain is needed in this parched land. I have had a busy week but taking note of the scenery, watching the mountain where I live loom closer, I was thankful for the privilege of living here where I am. I was not cut out to be a city-chick and jeans, boots and tops are much more comfortable than skirts, tops and sandals.

Riding a horse is preferable to riding a pushbike, walking along concrete pathways and to some extent, even driving my Rav4. There is something immensely carefree about cantering on a horse with the wind blowing gently, the sun shining warmly and it's just you and your trusty steed. In fact, as we rode back along the road, Bob stopped us for a chat. He said that in years past, everyone around here owned and rode horses but you don't see it much anymore. He was happy to see us riding. A friend rolled into his driveway and we moved the horses back across the road and cantered around the paddock before giving rides to my friend's sons. Her boys are eager to ride and it was satisfying to watch them take the reins in hand and walk around the yard.

It has been a long week. Teaching a class of 11 and 12 years old can have challenges and the impact of a world in chaos, causes confusion and heartache for the children. Teaching them how to divide and multiply decimals, how to write a newspaper report and how to measure an earthquake (Science) is just a part of the whole. In all my years of teaching, I sometimes wonder what difference I can make. The course I am doing is just to have the piece of paper that qualifies me and gives me the recognition to do what I have already been doing (aside from teaching) for years.

I asked Andy the other day, "How many teachers do you remember from primary school and what do you remember about them?" Having said that, recently a colleague from teaching a couple years ago wrote on my Facebook page that she'd been in contact with some of my students from that year. She added, "Just wanted to remind you that you make an impact on your students regardless of wherever you go and how ever long it's for." I needed to hear that.

I got my results back for my first assignment and I passed. I passed both my tests well and that has taken the pressure off me for my 2nd assignment due in less than two weeks. As much as I enjoy this course, I am really looking forward to having a few months break from study, having my weekends free and being able to do day trips, ride my horse and spend more time with friends. Have I ever told you how good my friends are?!

I came home from work to a clean house, a yummy dinner and a good man waiting for me. He's a bit bruised and battered. This week in netball, someone stood on his foot and it looks like he might lose a toe-nail. I am so thankful for the way Andy takes care of me and the way he encourages me to do the things I enjoy and persevere in the challenges.

Well, it's getting late and although I can sleep in in the morning, I have an assignment to do and I might even get another ride in on the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carolanne, you are never never never to doubt your value, both as a person and as a primary school teacher. You are a wonderful person of integrity and worth, you honour your ideals and standards and I have the greatest respect you for the person that you have made of yourself. As a teacher at a Primary school level, you are putting down the foundations of your students learning. Not only at the formal level, but for the rest of their lives. What you do is critical for those kids. They wont realize it,they don't know it yet, but it is true none the less. You are teaching those kids how to learn, you are laying down guidelines and standards which can shape they way they think and act for the rest of their lives if they choose to accept your teachings. God is with you in this task just as He is in all our lives, every aspect, each minute detail. Russell.